As the Aug. 21 total solar eclipse passes, thousands of visitors will gather in Columbia to watch the rare spectacle from the best viewing spot on the East Coast. That’s great news for local astronomy buffs, less so for incoming students and their families eager to move into UofSC residence halls on the traditional move-in Monday.
For the convenience and safety of our students, faculty, staff and visitors, UofSC will open residence halls Tuesday, Aug. 22 — one day later than last year’s move-in.
The change comes after consultation with the Columbia Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau, which anticipates sold-out hotels and a significant increase in traffic, both of which would cause problems for families visiting campus. The shift also supports the university’s goal to reduce the amount of unstructured time between move-in and the first day of classes. This fall, classes will begin Thursday, Aug. 24 as scheduled; UofSC has made no changes to the fall academic calendar.
Schedule of Events
- Wednesday, Aug. 16 – Early arrival housing opens for approved groups, including Gamecock Gateway, Carolina Band and sorority recruitment.
- Friday, Aug. 18 – Transfer Orientation (all majors).
- Monday, Aug. 21 – Eclipse viewing at locations across campus (details to come).
- Tuesday, Aug. 22 – All residence halls open at 8 a.m. for move-in. First Night Carolina will begin at 9 p.m. at Colonial Life Arena. Freshman Orientation (all majors, including International Accelerator Program students).
- Tuesday, Aug. 22 – Sunday, Aug. 27 – Carolina Welcome (details on events will be added as they are available).
- Wednesday, Aug. 23 – Convocation for first-year students will be at 10 a.m. at Colonial Life Arena.
- Thursday, Aug. 24 – First day of classes.